Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

Reward charts

I love to reward my boys for good behavior, doing chores without being told, and simply helping out mom and dad. By reinforcing their good behavior this teaches them what is expected of them as well as how to be responsible.

One way that we reward good behavior in our house is with a reward chart. Each boy has his own chart with his own areas to work on. These areas might include making the bed, being nice, setting the table, doing homework, etc.

One of the boys stickers is labeled 'BE NICE' as they have been having some trouble respecting others and their feelings. Last night I was tallying up their stickers for the day and neither boy had received a sticker for being nice. However, as we talked through their achievements for the day Michael had a realization. He realized that both of them had been mean to me and therefore didn't earn their 'Be nice' sticker.

He looked at me and said, "Poor mommy!" I asked him what he meant and he said, "You have been mean to today! Everyone has been mean to you!" I almost started to cry because he was seeing our reason for the 'BE NICE' sticker and realizing how mean he had been. After tallying the stickers Michael came to me and apologized for his mean words then asked if I would snuggle and read a book. (Who could say no to that request?!)

This was one of those moments when I saw that all my re-directions, correcting, and disciplining is really having an affect on my boys. Sometimes I feel as though all I do is discipline them and wonder if any of it is sinking in. Here was a precious little glimpse of what his little heart is learning. All of the effort I put in really is worth it! What an honor to train a little heart!

And, you can be sure I took full advantage of the offered snuggle and reading as these moments are rare with a 7 year old boy! ;)

Proverbs 22:6
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

1 comment:

  1. Awww!! I know what you mean. Sometimes the sweetest moments come after some of the crappiest ones.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete