Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Being an Advocate for my kids

Today started out as a very difficult day in the Bontrager household. My 10 year old (Noah) struggles with a chemical imbalance, or low serotonin levels. This imbalance shows itself with various symptoms one of them being ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). We have spent years seeing a psychologist and working with various behavioral modifications, diet modifications, and yes, we have tried different medications as well. (I will try whatever it takes to give him the best childhood possible!)

For the last year or so we have been very fortunate to have found a combination of behavioral modifications and medications that have kept his symptoms under control. He has been able to concentrate at school, his grades are great, and he is enjoying being a kid.

However, as we started 5th grade this year I was holding on for all of the transitions headed our way. (He really struggles with change) The first week went well, and then it hit. The ADD reared it's ugly head and put a huge halt to our year of seeing few symptoms. The last 2 weeks have been filled with meltdowns in the classroom (crying, not talking, dad had to go to the school meltdowns), an hour worth of homework taking 4 or more hours, and crying in the mornings not wanting to go to school! Yikes! My happy little 10 year old suddenly turned into a child who could not focus on anything, didn't want to go to school, and was doubting his abilities.

I must say that I was expecting there to be some issues as 5th grade started knowing that Noah is not fond of change. We have a doctors appointment for next Wednesday to discuss a change in his medication, and to discuss how he is handling 5th grade. (He has had a big growth spurt over the summer, and meds usually need adjusted after a growth spurt!)

Today however, my husband and I took him to school and sat down with the Principle and guidance counselor to discuss the issues we have been having. We now have a plan in place to get us through until we have adjusted his medication amounts.

One thing that I have learned through having a child with challenges is that I have to be his advocate. I have to be willing to walk into the school and let the teachers, principle, and guidance counselor know that things are not working for my child. I have made it my mission to make myself known by all of the teachers (including gym, art, music, library teachers, and even the lunch room helpers), the principle, and the guidance counselor. The more I show how committed I am to my child's education the more willing the teachers are to work with me.

I think this is true in every part of being a parent. I need to be my child's advocate, I need to speak up for him, support him, and give him what he needs to succeed, learn, and grow. What an amazing job God has given me!


3 comments:

  1. Amen! You and Brian will be the difference that Noah needs. He can't advocate for himself quite yet, so bless him for having amazing parents who will advocate for him.
    Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a challenging task to be a parent. Sometimes you have to cuddle, sometimes you have to protect. It's a balance I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete