Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Hummus

I love to cook. When I was young I would spend hours with my grandmother cooking, baking, canning, anything that got me into the kitchen. I now enjoy cooking with my own kids. So, I thought that I would post a recipe every now and then to share some of the foods I love.

I must however, make a disclaimer...some of my recipes are ideas that I have gotten from another recipe and I just fixed them up a little to suite my tastes. I like to think of a recipe as more of a guideline to be adjusted as needed.

So, my recipe for today is Hummus. I am totally addicted. I found this recipe for
Spinach-Artichoke Hummus and Cheesy Toast and fell in love with the yummy alternative to spinach and artichoke dip. However, I was not satisfied with having only one recipe for my hummus. I have used this recipe for inspiration to make lots of variations.

Here is the basic Hummus recipe...

Hummus

1-15oz. can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
2 Tablespoons Tahini (sesame paste)
2 Garlic cloves
Juice of 1 Lemon
Salt and pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

Put all ingredients (except EVOO) into a food processor and pulse a few times. Stream in the EVOO. Blend in food processor until smooth. (I sometimes add a little extra EVOO and blend longer until it is really smooth.)

Now with this basic recipe the possibilities are endless. So, lets think outside the box. How about 'sun-dried tomato and roasted garlic hummus'! Or just roasted garlic! Maybe a nice 'tomato and basil hummus', or an 'oregano, basil, and rosemary hummus'! 'Garlic Parmesan hummus', or for a little heat 'Tomato, Cayenne, and garlic hummus'. Just make the basic recipe and throw in what ever flavors your craving! Endless possibilities!

Remember to have some fresh baguette slices, whole grain crackers, or pita chips ready to scoop up this yummy snack! (Of course, I could just eat it by the spoonful, whatever works!)

Gotta go, I think I'm craving....

HUMMUS!!





2 comments: